Pick-Up Tips from… the Hopeless Romantic Sophomore

Nicole Martin > Sophomore > Sociology & Journalism > Pennsylvania State University; Photos courtesty of Caleb Sykora-Bodie and AR > Sophomore > Graphic Design > UMBC

In search of a little romance? In honor of Valentine’s Day, College Magazine sought the dating advice of a self-described hopeless romantic. See what this comedic romantic has to say on how to swoon while avoiding cliché.

Caleb Sykora-Bodie, Slippery Rock University, Studying Abroad in Chile

CM: What is the most romantic date you’ve taken someone on?
C: Taken a girl out to a 50’s style restaurant, ate, people watched, took a walk on the beach while watching the sunset, gone swimming a bit, and then had a fire with s’mores while talking and star gazing. Not bad for being only 18.

CM: What is the most romantic thing anyone has done for you?
C: When I left for Chile for a year abroad, a girl gave me a picture book of [the time] she was born to when we were together, a CD of our favorite music, and a letter to read once I left. After our history, it hit the spot. It all depends on where the relationship is.

CM: What is the main thing you look for in a potential partner?
C: Of course at first, looks, how else are you drawn to a person? Second if I can hold a coherent and entertaining conversation.

CM: What is your number one turn-off conversation topic?
C: Anything that relates to someone being an MTV, Jersey Shore, or 16 and Pregnant fan.

CM: What is your favorite pick-up line?
C: Right now, being in Chile, “I’m from the United States,” or something along the lines of being foreign. At home, my brother gave me a good one: “Do you want to drink some of my lemonade?” It kind of sounds like you want to drug them, but hopefully you don’t look that creepy and they don’t take it the wrong way.

CM: What is your weirdest turn-on?
C: A girl who knows about politics. I wonder if there is a girl out there who can talk dirty with politics, maybe a play on erection and election. If you are reading this and can think of anything… find me.

CM: How do you let down someone you’re uninterested in?
C: Doesn’t really happen to me much, considering I am the hopeless romantic.

CM: What movie would you say your romance style is most like, The Notebook, 50 first Dates or Ps. I love you?
C: Uhh, I only saw The Notebook onceand maybe 10 minutes of 50 First Dates. Maybe that is why I don’t have any romantic ability.

CM: All right, last question: what advice would you give to someone who wants to pick you up? 
C: Please, please, please, either go for gold, or just relax and talk. You can get to me pretty easily if you are a down to earth girl who is similar to me. But if you aren’t that, just jump me.