National Women’s Health Network Internship

What is the National Women’s Health Network?

Want to get into communications, public policy, advocacy or non-profit fundraising? Look no further. The National Women’s Health Network (NWHN) offers a killer internship program that won’t only look scrumptious to future employers on your resume, but will also provide you with real, hands-on experience. Some of the org’s biggest issues include securing women’s sexual and reproductive health and autonomy, challenging dangerous drugs and devices still prevalent in the health care industry and giving voice to women to advocate for greater access to health services.

POSITION 1: COMMUNICATIONS INTERN

Apply if you

Cool stuff you’ll get to do

• Conduct research on women’s health-related topics
  • Write posts for and promote the NWHN’s social media platforms
  • Assist with media monitoring efforts, metrics collection, and reporting
  • Perform analytics on the NWHN’s social media performance

Skills that impress them

• College-level courses in English, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or Media Relations
  • Demonstrated interest in women’s health and/or public policy
  • Excellent writing and research skills
  • Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, WordPress, NetCommunity Spark and social media platforms

The deets

• Location: Washington, D.C.
  • Term: fall, spring or summer
  • Weekly Time Commitment: 32 hours
  • Stipend varies by term
  • Apply here

POSITION 2: HEALTH POLICY INTERN

Apply if you

• Want to learn how to make a real difference in women’s health
  • Need experience in policymaking and advocacy
  • Want to make connections with other advocates and policymakers

Cool stuff you’ll get to do

• Conduct research on a variety of women’s health-related topics
  • Draft policy memos, news alerts, letters and other advocacy materials
  • Attend meetings with women’s health advocates and policymakers

Skills that impress them

• Excellent writing and research skills
  • Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
  • Strong written and oral communication skills
  • Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail

The deets

• Location: Washington, D.C.
  • Term: fall, spring or summer
  • Weekly Time Commitment: 32 hours
  • Stipend varies by term
  • Apply here

POSITION 3: MEMBERSHIP/FUNDRAISING INTERN

Apply if you

• Have an interest in fundraising
  • Have an interest in philanthropy
  • Want to get into the non-profit sector

Cool stuff you’ll get to do

• Enter data into the NWHN’s donor database
  • Conduct research on potential donors and foundations
  • Plan Development events and other activities
  • Attend health fairs and outreach events
  • Manage donor and department files
  • Assist with special projects

Skills that impress them

• Demonstrated interest in the nonprofit sector and/or philanthropy
  • Familiarity with databases (preferably Blackbaud products)

The deets

• Location: Washington, D.C.
  • Term: fall, spring or summer
  • Weekly Time Commitment: 20-30 hours
  • Stipend varies by term
  • Apply here

What it’s actually like

As an intern at this Washington D.C. based organization, you’ll get to work closely with department directors and get a feel for the company as a whole. “Having that small network is great for forming connections and being able to actually learn,” said Shaniqua Seth, Senior Communications Manager at the NWHN. “You really connect with the people you’re learning from.” Being a part of a smaller non-profit also means you’ll take on more responsibilities than you would at a huge organization. NWHN interns get to see the products of their work and feel like they’re contributing to a greater cause. “I was not expecting to be so involved and hands-on,” said current communications intern Kelly Cucolo. “I appreciate that the staff trusts the interns with a lot of responsibility and bigger projects.”

What you’ll learn

The skills you’ll learn vary based on your department. Membership/Fundraising interns will learn to work with the NWHN’s database and collaborate one-on-one with membership directors to identify new members, funders and ways to reach out to them. Health Policy interns will learn advocacy skills, researching and analysis in order to identify and address the issues the organization is and should be working on. Communications interns will learn new methods of outreach, media relations, how to maintain brand consistency for the organization and social media skills. All interns will have the opportunity to learn about the women’s health scene in D.C. and non-profit strategizing.

How to prepare for your application

The application for the NWHN internship program requires you to submit a resume, cover letter and a 3-5 page writing sample. Remember how all three of the internship positions ask that you have a “demonstrated interest” in women’s health and/or public policy? If your resume is full of other advocacy work, that’ll help your chances. Don’t lose hope just because you’ve never interned for a local representative or volunteered at a women’s health clinic. You can demonstrate your interest in women’s health issues and public policy in any of the three components of your application. Craft a cover letter that expresses your passion for health education. You can even submit one of your papers from that social welfare class you took in undergrad for your writing sample.

More important than just a general interest in women’s health policy is an understanding of what the NWHN does and how it does it, so do your research. What you don’t want to do is fake an interest in issues you really couldn’t care less about. Make it clear what you want to get out of the internship and what you’ll contribute to the organization.

Cool perks

Where better to learn policy advocacy than in D.C.? As a NWHN intern you’ll work in the political capital of the country and form connections with other advocates and policymakers. NWHN interns also have the opportunity to attend events on Capitol Hill, including press conferences held by senators and presentations hosted by other women’s health orgs. A lot of interns also come back to work for the network full-time, which really speaks to the organization as a foundation for you to grow your skills, your resume and your passion for women’s health advocacy.

Audrey is a second-year English major at the University of California, Los Angeles. One is most likely to find her angrily reading conservative news articles, playing Dungeons & Dragons or cuddling a stranger’s dog.

UF fans are super spirited
Top 10 Colleges with the Most School Spirit

Have you caught the school spirit? Do you bleed your school’s colors? Whether your college just won its conference or...