The Microwave Gourmet Chef: No Stove? No Problem!

BY Hilary Weissman > Sophomore > Journalism > University of Maryland

Dorms aren’t usually equipped with all the kitchen appliances needed to make a gourmet meal, let alone anything nutritionally satisfying. But with your good ol’ microwave, you can prepare the types of meals you crave at any fine convenience store…and you won’t even have to ingest the processed ingredients that add trans fats to your body!

Egg MICmuffin

This may sound like a salmonella disaster waiting to happen, but you can in fact cook eggs in the microwave. Just crack 2 eggs into a microwavable bowl, add a splash of milk and mix well. Top it off with shredded cheese. Cook for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Then throw it on an English muffin to eat on the go.

Microwave Pizza

For a new, and healthier, twist on your pizza dinners, try microwaving yourself a meal—and we’re not talking about reheating leftovers. Spread pizza sauce on a slice of matzah; add shredded cheese and any other microwavable toppings (try Perdue’s Chicken Strips). Cook for 30 seconds, or until all the cheese is melted. Be careful not to leave it in for too long: if over-cooked the matzah will get soggy. It may help to cook your toppings separately at first if they need extra time.

Chili-Cheese Dip

Looking for a quick snack or way to impress your friends at your next party?  Microwave your own nacho dip.  Mix 1 package of softened cream cheese, 1 can of chili, and top it off with 1 cup of shredded cheese. Heat in a microwavable baking dish on high for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Grab a pack of chips, and your friends will think you’re the next Rachael Ray.

A Literal CUP cake…in a mug

We all need a sugary pick-me-up on occasion, and our microwavable cupcake will cure your studying sweet tooth. Mix 4 tablespoons of flour, 4 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cocoa in a mug. Add 1 egg, 3 tablespoons of milk and 3 tablespoons of oil, then mix. Add 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips and a small splash of vanilla extract. Mix well, and try to ensure the chocolate chips are distributed evenly in the mixture. Cook in the microwave on high for 3 minutes. As it cooks, the mixture will rise over the top of the mug. Let cool and serve.