Gourmet Chef: No Stove? No Problem!

Morgan Gibson > Junior > Journalism > University of Maryland
Just because you’re living the hectic life of a college student doesn’t mean you need to eat like it. Say goodbye to Hot Pockets and PB&Js; it’s time to eat gourmet. The best part? It’s all in the microwave.

Hot Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
Who doesn’t like a snack with a little kick? Start with a tortilla topped with shredded cheese. Then roll Perdue cooked chicken strips in Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce and add them on top. You can also add salsa, chopped onions, peppers or canned corn. Cover with another tortilla and microwave for one minute, or until all the cheese is melted. Add some guacamole or sour cream on the side for a more gourmet experience.

Garlic Butter Shrimp
Need a complement to your boxed wine? Add this little snack to your night. Start by microwaving ¼ cup of butter for 30 to 45 seconds, or until melted. Add ½ tsp garlic powder and 2 tsp parsley flakes. You’ll need one 12 oz. package of frozen, peeled and deveined quick-cooking shrimp. Separate the shrimp and place in 9 or 10 inch diameter dish (glass pie dish works well). Pour butter mixture over shrimp and cover tightly. Microwave 5 to 8 minutes, until shrimp are opaque and stir every 2 minutes. Let stand covered 2 minutes and serve with toothpicks.

Apple Graham Cracker Pie
It’s delicious and your roommates will love you for it. Melt ½ cup of butter in a large, glass mixing bowl in microwave for about one minute. Add ¼ cup of sugar and 2 cups graham cracker crumbs then mix well. Press half of the mixture firmly and evenly around a 9-inch pie plate. Place 5 cups of thinly sliced, peeled apples (about four to six apples) in the crumb-lined pie plate and sprinkle with ½ cup of sugar and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Use the remaining cracker crumbs to make a top crust, leaving the center open. Cover pie with waxed paper and microwave 10-12 minutes. Let cool and enjoy.

Image courtesy of foodbanter.com.

Get Up, Stand Up: Whistleblowers for Peace

By Morgan Gibson > Junior > Journalism > University of Maryland  College students are constantly met with a barrage of...