You’re what we would call a normal college student — let’s say, with a record of a few one-night stands and some more “serious” relationships. While you may think you’re pretty well informed about sex, here are five facts that you probably didn’t know before.
1. There are certain strands of HPV that can be transmitted through oral sex and has been linked to oral cancer, according to the Ohio State University Medical Center. While you might be less restrictive in using protection during oral sex, know that the risk remains. Herpes, gonorrhea, and syphilis are also fair game and there’s always a small chance of contracting other STIs. Either way, it’s always good to know your partner’s past and make sure you practice safe sex.
2. According to a study published by the American Psychological Association, women are more attracted to guys who wear red. So while the popping color might not be an everyday find in your wardrobe—you guys might want to go shopping for some rouge to score with that chick in anthro you’ve been eyeing.
3. On the other hand, Dr. Alexandra Alvergne performed a study published in Trends in Ecology and Evolution that shows that women on the pill have altered levels of attraction. This means that when you were off the pill, you may find yourself liking different kinds of guys, with stronger, masculine features, than when taking the contraceptive.
4. Sperm helps tighten skin and can prevent aging because of the protein it contains. While you may not be concerned about wrinkles yet, it’s interesting to know some hidden benefits to "facials"—come again?
5. Science Daily reported that young adults are less likely to be at risk for the psychological effects of casual sex. We might be equally prone to it, but it’s nice to know you’re not bound to feeling permanent repercussions of your casual hookup. Just make sure you are always comfortable with your decisions and partner choices.
It’s always good to stay informed when it comes to sexual health and to know the psychological and after-effects of sex. You can always learn something new about sex and the bizarre studies being performed as we speak.