10 Candies to Steer Clear of on Halloween (And Every Other Day)

Halloween means scary movies and the addictively delicious candies. Whether you’re looking to sport a skin tight, revealing costume or the classic, cutout ghost sheet, every college student needs to know the importance behind steering clear of certain candies. These 10 candies not only offer a million calories and sugar, but also destroy tooth enamel and contain cancer-causing dyes and additives more horrifying than any scary movie. And let’s face it, you don’t want to stuff yourself into a costume next Halloween, do you?

1. Candy Corn

Candy corn is addictive, and yet we really only eat it around Halloween. Maybe that’s for the best. Candy Corn contains extremely high amounts of sugar, about a gram in every piece, and Red 3 dye coats the candy giving the white, orange and yellow color. Red 3 falls under the carcinogen category, deeming the dye potentially cancerous and hazardous by the Environmental Working Group.

Flavored coffee and shih tzu enthusiast. I study public relations, Spanish and international studies. The only 20-year-old senior at Penn State.