Post Valentine's Movie Marathon

by College Magazine on February 17, 2011

By Michelle King > Sophomore > Journalism > Emerson College, Photo By Riley Blanks > Sophomore > Sociology and Studio Art > University of Virginia

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: This certainly is not your typical love story. Rather, this cult classic starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet deals with science fiction-esque themes about what could happen if you were able to erase all memories of past relationships. Whether you are single or taken, this film will make you question how the people we love change us and what would happen had we never met them. 

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: No one does love like John Hughes. This 80’s classic, staring a very young Matthew Broderick, provides pure entertainment for your Post Valentine’s Day Marathon. 

The Notebook: Regardless of whether you are single or in a relationship, sometimes you just need to lose yourself in a classic love story. The Notebook, starring Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling, might have it’s cliché moments (kissing in the rain, anyone), but, ultimately it is genuine and heartfelt. 

Across the Universe: What better way to spend your marathon then listening to the music of The Beatles? After all, they were ones who said “all you need is love.” This film, based off the music of The Beatles, is about relationships of all kinds—friendships, romantic, and family. 

(500) Days of Summer: Everyone has that one person who just didn’t feel the same way. Take some time to watch this film, starring Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt, and think about your past relationships—the good the bad and the ugly.