How To Prevent a UTI

by Mira Milla on January 04, 2013
Junior > Journalism > University of Texas
footage.shutterstock.com
footage.shutterstock.com

If you’ve ever had a urinary tract infection, you want to do whatever it takes to make sure you don’t get another one. A UTI is the second most common type of infection in the body. UTI is when bacteria reach your urinary tract, usually a bladder infection that causes painful urination and frequent urges to use the restroom. There are several reasons why a UTI may occur but the two main ones are caused by E. coli and having sex frequently.

From experience, I’d never want to wish that pain upon anyone. On top of being extremely painful, UTI’s are a hassle and can affect the way you go about your day; the frequent urges to use the restroom, the pinching pain when you urinate and the overall uncomfortable feeling you get throughout the whole day.

A UTI is an infection that can be in your kidneys, bladder and/or urethra. Most infections, according to mayoclinic.com, “involve the lower urinary tract – the bladder and urethra.” If not treated correctly, the infection can spread to the kidneys, which is much more serious.

So what can you do to prevent UTI from creeping into your life? According to everydayhealth.com, there is a list of things you can do to help fight that infectious bacterium.

GOOD PERSONAL HYGIENE

Never wait to use the restroom. If you have to go, go. Waiting can cause bacteria to build up and can cause pressure on your bladder. Also make it a habit to urinate before and after sex. Sexual activity is a common risk factor for a UTI. By urinating after sex, you get rid of any bacteria that may have entered during intercourse.

After using the restroom, make sure to wipe from front to back. If you wipe back to front, you risk the bacteria from your rectum to reaching your genitals. Also, avoid perfumed products from your lady parts. This includes douches, fragranced powder and fragranced spray.

WATER

Drinking about eight ounces of water a day will help you flush out your system from bacteria that causes UTI. Avoid drinks such as coffee, soda and alcohol while suffering from a UTI.

COTTON UNDIES

Wearing underwear made out of cotton is not only way more comfortable, but it also allows more air movement to occur. Bacterium thrives on moisture, so having air circulate down there allows the urethra to be dry.

CRANBERRIES

Cranberries have been known to help prevent and protect against UTI. Adding cranberry juice to your diet can help keep the bacteria from growing and attaching themselves to your bladder wall. There are also cranberry pills you can buy at a local convenient store.

CHANGING SEX POSITIONS

Changing positions during intercourse can help reduce the friction on your urethra and reduce the risk of recurrent UTI.

These are just a few new habits you should attain when wanting to prevent a UTI. Although men can get UTI, it is more common in women because a woman’s urethra is shorter, allowing bacteria to reach the bladder faster.  If you start to notice the common UTI symptoms, go see a doctor immediately. They will prescribe you antibiotics that you must take for a week. Make sure you follow your doctor’s instructions on how to cure your UTI to relieve discomfort as soon as possible.  

Photos taken from spokanefitnesssecrets.com and buzzle.com