Turn That Frown Upside Down

by Alexi Knock on March 02, 2012
Junior > Journalism and Political Science > Hofstra University
Photo at http://ssdp.org/aid/
Photo at http://ssdp.org/aid/

No matter how many tailgates you’ve attended, friends you’ve made or sexual experiences you’ve encountered while in college, we all get a little down in the dumps from time to time. Sometimes you may feel like there’s no one in the world who will understand what you’re going through, but you need to know that there are endless resources at your college to pick you right back up again:

I get by with a little help from my friends

If you’re going through something, chances are good that someone you know has been through the same thing. Whether it was a bad break up, family issues or even your favorite team’s losing streak that has caused your sour mood, a friend will be able to relate. The worst thing you can do is leave everything bottled up inside, so make sure you open that bottle up and talk about it.

“Wine nights with my friends have easily become my cure for down in the dumps days. This is a great way to let everything out of your system. I used to hate the taste of wine, but something about sipping a nice glass of merlot makes me feel classy as hell. And classiness is my first step to feeling more happy about where I am in life,” said Hofstra University junior Chelsea Tirrell.

We’re not suggesting that you chug away your problems at the keg, but combining a little bubbly and a lot of friends can go a long way.

Pump up

According to the American College of Sports Medicine, exercising 30 minutes a day can boost those feel-good endorphins and make you happier. Your university has a fitness center for a reason, so take advantage of this free and easy source of happiness. Working out raises the level of serotonin in our bodies. You know, that mood neurotransmitter that stabilizes our emotions. Plus, you’ll be getting fit, which will boost confidence in the long run…or jog.

“Exercising is a good way of relieving stress and releasing some pent up energy,” said Rice University junior Ricky Woo.

Crank up the tunes

Listening to your favorite, soothing song can increase dopamine, a mood-boosting chemical in your brain. A Discovery News article stated that there is a link between “music-induced pleasure [and] a surge in intense emotional arousal, including changes in heart rate, pulse, breathing rate and other measurements.”  So turn up the Kelly Clarkson, Rolling Stones or whatever it is that gets you to your happy place.

If you’re still feeling down

If you discover that your sad mood has lasted longer than a week or two or you have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, there could be something more going on. Many universities offer two or more free counseling sessions with psychology grad students or certified therapists. For example, the Counseling Center at the University of Maryland offers unlimited free therapy meetings with their counselors. Even if you just need someone to talk to about stress with midterms, consult your school’s counseling center and you’ll be sure to feel better soon.

Photo: at http://ssdp.org/aid/