How to Win Her Heart with 90’s R&B

by Olivia Yankey on February 28, 2012
Junior > English > Georgetown University

The only good thing about Valentine’s Day is that it fills the month of February with the sounds of love. By that, I mean every trip to CVS, the grocery store and the mall is blessed with the soundtrack of the greatest (and cheesiest) R&B jams of the past two decades. Here are a few gems to get familiar with now, so you’re fully prepared to woo next year’s V-Day date once February 2013 rolls around. Play this mix as a funny way to break the ice, or enjoy it seriously in all its baby-making glory. Either way, you’re welcome, gentlemen.

Set the Mood

“Cupid” - 112
There is nothing like this lead singer’s falsetto to start off a non-threatening mix of slow jams.

“I Wanna Know” - Joe
Probably the No. 1 most-requested wedding song of 2000, Joe kills the ladies when he croons, “I'd like to know what makes you cry/So I can be the one who always makes you smile.”

“Let’s Get Married (ReMarqable Remix)” - Jagged Edge
The name of the remix says it all. Much like that “remarqable” offense against the English language, J.E. was always a little corny, but once they start singing you can’t really say no.

“I’ll Make Love to You” - Boyz II Men
Forget that they collaborated with Justin Bieber this past Christmas, and just let the professionals work their magic.

Getting Down to Business

“It’s All About Me” - Mya
Make sure you’re on point here, because Mya’s essentially telling her man that it’s time for her to be getting all the attention. You’ll hear some spectacular male singing on this track, too, as it features the future legend behind “The Thong Song,” Sisqo (and his questionable silver Caesar cut). With him in the mix, this song is obviously a joke panty dropper.

“Nice & Slow” - Usher
He was practically an infant in 1997, but that didn’t stop Usher from letting all the ladies know what he was about.

“Untitled (How Does It Feel)” - D’Angelo
The baby-making jam. Everyone remembers the music video with D’Angelo almost naked, though, so you shouldn’t let your girl watch it unless you also have the six-pack abs/V-cut combo he’s rocking.

Let Her Know You Love Her

“Back at One” - Brian McKnight
Play this as the sendoff, but be warned: she might want to believe she’s in love if you let Brian McKnight serenade her after the deed is done.