Column: Tebow SNL Skit Goes Too Far?

by Josh Axelrod on December 22, 2011
Sophomore > Journalism > University of Maryland
Photo at http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/19/snl-skit-has-jesus-visit-tim-tebow/
Right when it seemed Tebowmania might be dying down, the divisive Denver Broncos quarterback actually met Jesus. Well, to be more accurate, it was Jason Sudeikis in full Christ garb paying the Broncos locker room a visit during a skit on last Saturday’s Jimmy Fallon-hosted episode of Saturday Night Live. Taran Killam’s Tebow was as excited as a 12-year-old girl meeting Justin Bieber to be in the presence of his lord and savior.

SNL is known for providing a silly take on current trends, but this parody of the Tebow winning streak, his devout Christian beliefs and whose prayers Jesus is answering these days was more spot-on than anything they’ve done in a long time. It’s a testament to the sketch comedy institution’s social influence and Tebow’s controversial appeal that the skit has blown up the Internet. Reactions to the skit ranged from love to Pat Robertson.

The 700 Club host slammed the skit, acting crankier than Harrison Ford on a normal day: “There’s an anti-Christian bigotry that is just disgusting and I think Saturday Night Live did a parody of that, had Jesus come in. If this had been a Muslim country and they had done that, and had Muhammad doing that stuff, you would have found bombs being thrown off! And bodies on the street! And we think it’s okay.”

He went on to praise Tebow, calling him a “wonderful human being” for promoting his Christian faith in a society that is “losing [its] moral compass.” You can see why a religious zealot like Robertson wouldn’t be too fond of Sudeikis-Jesus telling Tebow to “turn it down a notch.”

Which brings me to a segment I like to call, “Really!?! With Seth & Amy.” Really, Pat Robertson? You’re accusing SNL of launching an attack on Christianity? It’s comedy, not commentary. That’s like taking Rick Perry seriously when he vows to end “Obama’s war on religion.” No one in their right mind would say those things with nothing but hate in their hearts (right?).

And really Pat? Bringing Muslim extremism into the conversation? All because you can’t take a joke about your religion? If I kvetched every time a Jew joke was made at my expense, I’d eventually turn into Larry David. Why so serious Pat? I would suggest you get a sense of humor unless you want the Joker to tell you how he got his scars:

And really Tebow? Do you have to continue saying all the right things, even when you lose to Tom “God’s Nephew” Brady? It’s like you can do no wrong, even when you try to lose games for the first three quarters. Who needs divine help when you're perfect on and off the field? Long live Tebowmania!