Graduation Project: Condom Dress

by Crystal Becerril on December 05, 2011
Senior > English & Journalism > Boston University
Photo by Paul Keller
Photo by Paul Keller

As part of his graduation project at Van Lang University in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Nguyen Minh Tuan created a designer dress using 700 condoms. The project served as defiance against the attitude of Vietnamese people toward sex and condom use, according to Tuan.

"I made this project in the hope of raising the self-consciousness and awareness of Vietnamese people towards protecting their loved ones by avoiding STDs," Tuan said to VietnamNet.vn.

While Tuan made the dress as a functional way to raise awareness for World AIDS day, on December 1, many fashion experts and bloggers reacted positively to the design. Experts agreed that the dress might not be an item of clothing for everyday wear; however, it might be a piece for special events or something that risk-taking celebrities might own. The piece is flattering, and done very tastefully, according to Los Angeles-based style expert Lindsay Albanese.

What do YOU think?