The Penny-Pincher's Summer

by Lauren Katz on July 07, 2011
junior > Journalism & Mass Communication > The George Washington University
Make sure you make the most of your summer before it ends, and save your money too!

Can you believe its already July? Sorry to burst your sun bathing bubble but summer is halfway over. And while you may be sad to go back to school and actually do work, there’s probably a little part of you that is grateful that, soon enough, you won’t have to spend every last cent that you earned on food, drinks and going out.

However, while the summer heat is still strong, there are alternatives to the $8 Mojito and $15 dinner out. Here are some easy recipes and ideas to save yourself a few dollars, so you can keep celebrating the summer well into August.

Jell-O Shots

These bite size jigglers serve the purpose of both dessert and pregame. You can load them with alcohol (Burnettes, anyone? You’re not going to know the difference) and they will still fill your sweet craving. Just boil one cup of water, add one packet of your favorite jell-o flavor, remove the pot from the heat and add one cup of alcohol. For fast cooling, fill plastic bathroom cups with the mixture and these babies will be solid in no time!

No Bake Cookies

Who really wants to turn on a hot oven in the middle of the summer? These cookies require basic pantry staples and little time. Combine 2 cups sugar, ½ cup milk, 1 stick of butter and 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, remove from heat, stir in ½ cup chunky peanut butter, 3 cups quick-cooking oats and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Drop the dough by the  teaspoon onto wax paper and let cool.

Midnight Capture the Flag

What could be better than getting to relive your childhood and socialize for free? Get together with some friends ,set up teams, dress up in color-coated apparel and have fun! You can add some competition and incentive by making it so the losing team has to take the winning team out for drinks.

Summer Fiesta

Why go out when you can create your own Mexican fiesta at home? Easy Sangria recipes like this one only require wine and some triple sec, so you won’t be burning a hole through your wallet at the liquor store. Trader Joes sells an entire guacamole kit- for just $5! Complete with two avocados, a tomato, a lime, a jalapeño and some garlic, you can’t ask for a better deal. Grab some salsa and chips and you’re good to go.

Then, there are the obvious ones. Find a local free concert, art walk, Taste Of, or outdoor movie showing. Take advantage of the warm weather and do something different! Summer only happens once a year, and before running out of money or going back to school (whichever comes first), make sure you have lived your days and nights to the fullest.